Critical Cedar Roof Ventilation FactsCedar roof ventilation: Ventilating a cedar roof serves a variety of purposes for your home, and the importance of roof ventilation should not be underestimated. Like many small details, it’s very easy for the average homeowner to overlook this detail that is critical to roof health. Read our top reasons why cedar roof ventilation is so important.
1. Cooler Home and AtticEasily the most obvious reason for cedar roof ventilation is to reduce heat in your house, especially in your attic. Heat enters your home through your roof and without proper ventilation, it has no place to go and gets trapped. The correct ventilation system allows hot air to escape and cooler air to replace it, keeping your attic manageable during the summer.
2. Less MoldMold often tends to thrive in non-ventilated areas, especially under roofs where condensation can also accumulate. By ventilating your roof, you create conditions less favorable for mold to thrive. This mold can cause damage to your roof, anything in your attic spaces, and can even cause structural damage to your home if left untreated.
3. It Prevents Ice DammingIce damming occurs when moisture and water accumulates and afterwards freezes at the end of your roof when it gets cold, damaging the roof. This is a common problem, but over time it can cause massive damage to your roof and it’s supporting structure. Cedar roof ventilation prevents moisture from forming these small water traps that later become massive ice dams but letting air flow properly.More for you >> Cedar Roofing Maintenance
Does My Cedar Roof Have to Be Ventilated Year-Round?As should be apparent, it is essential to ensure sure your cedar roof is ventilated all year. It’s most obvious during the summer, when heat can increase, but failing to confirm your cedar roof is properly ventilated throughout the year is what can bring about ice damning later on in the winter. This is why all areas with louvers, roof vents, ridge vents and soffit vents should be clear at all times and never be blocked off either accidentally or purposefully.Cedar roofs are meant to breathe. Proper cedar roof ventilation can extend the life of your cedar roof, and even reduce heating and air conditioning costs since the wood’s natural properties of insulation will be able to function better. Improper ventilation or lack of maintenance almost guarantees early and frequent roof replacements.
How to Ensure Your Roof is Properly VentilatedApart from making sure a new cedar roofing installation is properly done, the first thing you should do to ensure your cedar roof is properly ventilated is make sure your cedar roof stays clean. Keep obvious debris off where you can – being careful not to walk on your roof as cedar requires special training for this so no damage is incurred. The next thing you should do is get your cedar roof properly inspected and repaired by cedar roof professionals. A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc. is a top choice for cedar roofing services. With expertise in cedar roof installation and cedar roof repair we are equipped to handle all of your cedar roofing needs with ease and expertise.A beautifully maintained roof can increase the value of your home and enhance curb appeal. Alternatively, failing to keep up proper maintenance on your roof may lead to needing to replace your entire roof prematurely, which will likely be very costly and can even have more expensive consequences.
A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc.Since 2003 A.B. Edward Enterprises, Inc. has been proudly serving the Chicagoland area with it’s expert cedar roofing services – including ensuring proper cedar roof ventilation. We have earned an A+ rating with the BBB and have served over 5500+ happy customers to date. Customer satisfaction is our key focus, and we make sure we use only the best materials and treat you like family! If you are interested in a cedar roof installation, think you need cedar roof repair, or want to ask about cedar roof maintenance, contact us today!Been considering a cedar roof but still have some life left in your old roof? Don’t have a cedar roof at all? We’re still here for you! Asphalt, slate, synthetic, metal and even clay tile roofs all fall under our team’s expertise – so contact us to find out more about our full range of roofing services right here in Chicagoland!
You can also visit related posts through the links below :
- Cedar Roofing And Ice Dams
- A Roofing Inspection: What You Need To Know
- Cedar Roofing Maintenace For Sun Damage
- Help! I Have Cedar Roof Curling!
- The Ultimate Guide To Cedar Roofing Maintenance
- Moss Growth On Your Cedar Roof? How To Handle It…
- 4 Key Cedar Roof Upkeep Tips