10 Advantages of Cedar Shake Roofing Shingles By A Cedar Shake Roofing CompanyWhen it comes to first impressions of cedar shake roofing, among guests, onlookers and prospective house buyers, few details stand apart more than the roof. In many circumstances, the qualities of the roof that many stand apart are the shapes, colors and attributes of the materials utilized. Of course, the value of a cedar roof installation includes a lot more than simply its visual appeal. Roofing needs to also provide security and durability to keep houses secured from weather and the components. Out of all the roofing materials offered on the marketplace, cedar shingles are one of the most gratifying options in regards to visual appeal, security and durability.
Cedar shake roofing offers a variety of advantages to property owners in all types of real estate styles and climates. Some of the biggest advantages of cedar shingles consist of:
- A timeless visual appeal that constantly remains valuable, no matter changes in domestic architecture.
- High insulation, which helps keep family members comfy and indoor temperatures moderate, regardless of the weather outside.
- Environmental friendliness, since cedar is a natural item, unlike asphalt.
- Resistance to the aspects, just as cedar has shown throughout centuries in the forests.
The following 10 advantages are amongst the main reasons why many people choose cedar shingles.
1. Visual Appeal That LastsAmong the best advantages of cedar shingles is their long lasting beauty. When you consider the visual appeal of your house, you need to also think about the toughness of the functions that provide the home its visual appeal. After all, what would be the point in functions that fail to last? With cedar shingles, you get the total plan– roofing with long-lasting visual appeal. Aesthetically, cedar shingles offer residential roofs with the natural texture and warm colors of wood. In terms of strength and durability, cedar is a time-tested item that has actually made it through in the forests through rain and shine for centuries. As such, cedar shingles need little upkeep over the average time period of a property occupancy.
2. Insulation and ConvenienceWhen it pertains to the interior advantages of roof products, absolutely nothing beats cedar in terms of insulation. Cedar shingles work as a protective barrier that prevents the passage of cold winds and hot sunlight from permeating your attic and living areas. The inner grains of the wood have air pockets that avoid temperature levels from passing through on either side. Throughout the warm months of summertime, the insulation of cedar shingles helps keep houses cooler. As the hot rays of the sun roar down on your home, they are less capable of warming up your living locations when cedar shingles are in place to protect your interior. Similarly, the coolness provided by your AIR CONDITIONER units is less liable to ooze out through your roofing when cedar shingles exist. As such, cedar shingles can help you conserve money on your summer season cooling expenses. The insulation supplied by cedar shingles can likewise assist you beat the winter season cold. As rainy days rely on snow, cedar shingles assist avoid the penetration of your interiors with cold drafts, as well as trap in the warmth generated by your heaters and fireplace. Therefore, you do not need to crank up the heat as often during sub-zero temperature levels when your home has cedar shingles to keep the heat inside.
3. Timelessness and FlexibilityAs a natural item cut from the woods, cedar has been utilized as a building product for centuries. As such, cedar has an ageless appeal that gives an ageless quality to homes from all different eras. Whereas certain other materials can render a property dated, cedar holds the same appeal today in the 21st century as it carried out in the 1800s and early 1900s. On log cabins integrated in the mid-1800s, cedar roof has actually long offered shelter to succeeding generations of occupants. Today, almost 2 centuries after some of these cabins were built, the stability of their original design can still be preserved each time new cedar shingles are used– such is the classic look of cedar. The timelessness of cedar also provides the wood a versatility that makes it suitable for a few of the more sophisticated styles in property architecture, such as the Painted Ladies of the Victorian period. From England to California, examples of this style still exist in towns and uptown neighborhoods. The Bay Location, for instance, has dozens of these homes lined side-by-side with their popular windows and bright colors. These houses have actually withstood because they are well-constructed, thanks in part to cedar roof. While cedar is frequently related to the rustic aesthetic, the wood has likewise shown to be suitable with modern domestic architecture. The existence of cedar includes resilience along with contrast to the look of homes built within the past three decades. Despite the shape and layout, cedar roofing is among the crucial functions that has actually permitted homes of all ages to stand the test of time and stay feasible on the real estate market.
4. Pleasant SmellIn brand-new and old homes alike, among the most comforting attributes of any living area is the smell. Out of all the roofing and siding options, cedar has among the most pleasant smells. The fresh smell of cedar can provide to the beauty and coziness of a recently built house. Also, the delightful cedar fragrance can lend to the agelessness of older homes with cedar roofs and siding. For visitors and potential home purchasers, the smell of a home is among the most immediately noticeable attributes. From the minute a visitor reaches the front door, his or her impressions of the property will mainly be based upon the smell that emanates from the wood. On a gut level, people can sense within a couple of seconds whether they’ll enjoy their experience at a given home. When it pertains to putting homes on the market, the total odor can make or break the residential or commercial property. As long as cedar is properly maintained, it can help in the fresh smell of a tidy, decades-old house. The stereotype of a lived-in, cobweb-infested, stale-aired old house can be laid to rest with making use of fresh cedar wood along the roofing system and walls. With its fresh odor, cedar can improve the experience of a residential property– whether out on the porch or throughout the interior area– for occupants and guests alike.
5. Light-weightAs a relatively lightweight wood, cedar will not include excess weight to your home. For that reason, if you trade up to cedar from a weaker roofing product, you won’t need to worry about the structural integrity of your roofing system once the shingles remain in location. On homes with simple structures, the addition of heavy roof product might require additional assistance beams to update the overall weight capacity. Such is not the case with cedar, which goes on gently, yet forms a solid shield in between your living quarters and anything that might hit your home, from strong winds, heavy rain and icy snow to falling leaves and hot sun rays.
6. Repels InsectsAmong the biggest opponents to the structural stability of a home is termite invasion. On houses made from wood outsides and drywall outsides, termites can be especially problematic. As they eat their method through walls and ceilings, termites can trigger damage that can lead to huge repair work costs for homeowners. Nevertheless, homes with cedar roofs and siding are impervious to termites. Cedar includes a property that wards off termites. Within the dark layers of cedar wood, there’s a chemical termites naturally prevent. As such, homes covered with cedar shingles and siding are far less likely to have termite issues. Even in locations that are especially susceptible to mite infestations, the bugs are liable to select homes constructed of product that is more beneficial to their palate and digestion systems.
7. Damage ResistanceAmong the keys to the durability of cedar is its resistance to damage. As a wood that has actually stood tall and strong in the forests for decades as well as centuries, cedar has actually proven itself throughout the ages as a timber that stands up to the rough and typically unstable winds of nature. When you think about all the harsh wind and rain cedar has sustained in the wild, it is no wonder the wood is one of the strongest, most durable roofing options. Thanks to the general resistance of cedar to damage, shingles cut from the wood can keep their shape and character with minimal upkeep for Thirty Years or more. Even for a wood, the strength of cedar is extraordinary. Compared to shingles cut from other types of trees, cedar shingles are much less most likely to swell in time in wet climates. If you have your cedar roofing treated with special finish, it becomes a lot more impervious to winter weather condition. Often times when there is damage to your roof you can get by with doing just a cedar roofing repair instead of a complete replacement.
8. Ecological FriendlinessAmongst today’s green-conscious property owners, it is now more vital than ever for the homes of be safe, secure and ecologically sound. While numerous other roof choices will offer you one or two of those benefits, cedar shingles supply all 3. Cedar is an organic product chosen from America’s forests. As such, there are no chemicals associated with the production of cedar shingles. Each time a cedar tree is reduced for shingle production, a new tree is grown in its place. In essence, the industry for cedar shingles has played a significant role in the growing of cedar in the United States. When you consider all the uses for wood in everyday life, cedar never ever truly goes to waste, even after a cut from the wood has fulfilled its initial function as roofing material. Whereas particular other types of roofing end up in garbage dumps, utilized cedar shingles can be ground into bark dust and utilized for gardening functions.
9. Increased Realty ValueHomes that sport cedar shingles are popular on the realty market. When prospective homebuyers scan listings for possible new houses, they search for functions that make sure low upkeep and longevity. Cedar is popular as one of the greatest products for residential roof. Whenever somebody in the market for a new home sees cedar shingles on the roof, they know the value of that immediately. The average family occupies the exact same house for a duration of roughly 13 years. When effectively kept, cedar shingles last more than two times that long. Therefore, if you have brand-new cedar shingles installed on your home, it will likely be a one-time financial investment you won’t have to duplicate for as long as you own the home. If and when you do choose to offer, those same cedar shingles will function as a temptation to individuals in the market for a brand-new home.
10. Variety and ColorAs an item cut from wood, cedar shingles can be found in a variety of shapes. Depending on your preferences as a house owner, you might select shingles with square, diagonal, diamond-shaped or rounded ends. You may opt to match the shingles to a style that connects the overall façade of your house. If you remain in the market for something edgy and elaborate, you might even go with among the more arcane styles, such as arrow-tipped or half-cove shingles. Cedar shingles can also be treated with finishes that can either boost or change the color of the wood. If you choose the appearance of natural wood, a transparent finish will assist keep the shingles in optimum condition throughout the years you own the property. Alternately, you might have the shingles dealt with in a reddish finish for a more intense look, or you could even choose a darker finish. If you opt to leave the shingles unfinished, they will be rather more exposed for many years, but the look of the wood as it naturally ages can have its own charm. As years pass on, untreated cedar takes on a silvery or grayish tone. That said, treated shingles are typically considered more appealing on the property buyers market.
Preserve Your Cedar Shingles With Roofing CoatingsNow that you have selected cedar shingles, think about having them treated with a finish that will make the wood as protective as possible. Think about a shingle finish that will enhance the natural appearance and classic quality of cedar that makes the product work with any type of exterior design. Most of all, consider a cedar finish that will complement the façade of your house and perhaps boost the value of your house. Cedar shingles have stood the test of time due to the fact that they are cut from one of the strongest timbers found in the U.S. forests. If you live in the Chicagoland area and are looking for a cedar roof replacement company, contact us today ay (847) 827-1605 for a FREE Estimate! If you’re looking for help installing or caring for another kind of roof – such as slate or asphalt – we can still help! Our team of experts has years of experience in many different kinds of roofing and offer a wide range of roofing services to out customers in the Chicagoland area.
You can also visit related posts through the links below :
- The Amazing Benefits of Cedar Shake Roofing
- Cedar Roofs Are Environmentally Friendly
- How to Choose Cedar Shingles and Cedar Shakes
- Top Cedar Roofing Installation Benefits
- How Cedar Roofs Are Energy Efficient
- Top Qualities Of A Good Cedar Shake Repair Company
- Advantages To Having Cedar Shake Roofing